Friday, January 22, 2016

Album Review: Megadeth- Dystopia

“Dystopia” is the fifteenth studio album by American Thrash Metal band Megadeth and was released January 22nd, 2016. Now this band was one of my all-time favorites back during my High School days especially getting to see them twice on their Th1rt3en Tour. “So Far So Good So What?” still remains one of my all-time favorite musically written records as well today. I was fortunate to review “Super Collider” when it came out and I really liked the record for the different and more heavy metal styles it was trying I really did. Now when this record was released, a lot of people were skeptical as the last album really divided fans but as soon as the first few tracks were revealed with new comers Chris Adler from  Lamb Of God and Kiko Lureiro of Brazilian band Angra, people shut up and listened. These songs really brought back the Thrash element the band is really known for. However does the record hold up as a whole? Or is it just filler and no killer. Well….

Track Rundown

1.       The Threat Is Real- Opening with a very speedy intro, I really like the more slick production here with the Egyptian sounding soloing go9ing on as well, The band sounds very tight and Daves vocals, although worn , they still feel appropriate. I like the very frantic pacing in the chorus as well it makes it catchier.  This songs has 80s Megadeth written all over and sounds like a song that might have been on one of their releases in the late 2000’s. Soloing is very good as you would expect from Megadeth. Very good opening tune.

2.       Dystopia- I like the intro to this song and how heavily melodic it sounds, almost sounds like a power metal band. This sounds like a Megadeth tune from one of their bigger 90’s albums which isn’t bad it isn’t a song that is pure Thrash it is a more straightforward Heavy Metal song. I really like it more so because of the heavy melodies running through it.

3.       Fatal Illusion- The first song off the record released, and I really like the intro to it, but I feel this would have been a better opening song with how lengthy the opening on it is. Juniors bass playing gets a spotlight immediately after and it’s so awesome to hear it reminds me a lot of his 80s bass work. I love how fast this song gets in the middle it sounds like a cross between the pure assaults of So far and the technicality of Rust In Peace with the production of Countdown and Youthanasia. Definitely one of their heaviest songs in a few years.

4.       Death From Within- This song opens with some heavy riffing and some good grooves as well. This song is a pure headbanging delight. Reminds me of 90s Anthrax for some reason, but still pretty good.

5.       Bullet To The Brain- Beginning with a marching snare drum and dark acoustic guitars, this song has a bit of a different taste to it especially with the vocals. Daves vocals are a bit more buried in verses and almost drone a little bit. This song is a bit more mid paced and slows the record down a bit but it has a lot of good musicianship within it which I appreciate.

6.       Post American World- This opening almost sounds like a Slayer song but immediately sounds like a heavy Megadeth tune, which even though it is a lot more mid paced, the soloing and riffing still sound really on point. I also love Chris’ super heavy drum roles, it really adds.

7.       Poisonous Shadows- Opening with more acoustic guitar, This song is another more progressive  midpaced piece that really showcases Kikos amazing solo abilities. This song is insanely heavy probably one of the heaviest Megadeth songs mainly through the drums which is my favorite thing about this whole record. Very good written track.

8.       Look Who’s Talking- This song is another of those songs with a lot of interesting time key changes in it. Its an okay track I like it but it isn’t the best.

9.       Conquer Or Die- My favorite opening on the album it has just such a good atmosphere to it. This song overall is a pretty good heavy offering with some of my favorite soloing on the record. This is a really good instrumental into the next song.

10.   Lying In State- This song is a faster track with a lot of virtuosity tossed throughout it. Another one of my favorites on the album. Very Catchy.

11.   The Emperor- There is some good riffing in this song but the lyrics sound kind of cheesy at points but it is pretty good. Not slot to say about this one. I like it.

12.   Last Dying Wish- This song sounds a lot like Rust In Peace to me with Dave singing like a dictator above the music. Good song I really like the riffs and solo breaks in it as well.

13.   Foreign Policy- As keeping in tradition with the last record, this one also concludes with a Cover and this time it’s a cover of one of legendary punk band FEARS’s songs. It is a pretty good cover but fairs a lot better as a punk song than a metal song. Sounds a lot like old Megadeth in it though which is pretty cool.


Overall, I give this album a 7 out of 10. This is Megadeth really back to business, it really offers a lot to the fans who were hoping for the next step after Endgame which I feel this record is the next logical step, however I don’t think this album would’ve come to life without the past few experiments which I still admire I might add. This album is still really heavy and despite some gray moments, really captures the tight heaviness of the new line up. I feel Megadeth are in a good place right now and im sure their fans think so too.


No comments:

Post a Comment