Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Album Review: Electric Revolution-Character Is power

“Character is Power” is the debut album from Wisconsin Blues Rock group Electric Revolution and was released in December of 2015. I have a bit of history with these guys since I reviewed their e.p way back when and ever since I was eagerly waiting a full length album to see what these guys could dish out. Well here they are with a new vocalist and ten brand new tracks. Lets see if this album really hit the mark or if it sings the blues.

Track rundown

1.Here We Go- This song totally reminds me of Graham Bonnet and Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow and it is a fine rocker to open the album. I really love the distorted harmonica playing as well it adds more grit to the song. The band sounds really tide as well yet they have such a laid back feeling that is great. Dave Lawsons vocals are totally killer and he really carries himself very well. Amazing riptide of an opener.

2.Save Me- This album has like a slower groovy frantic feeling to it and the slide guitar is so infectious I love it. The chorus is pretty heavy sounding like its 1975 all over again and I love it. This song really is a straight shooter and plays no games it just straight grooves.

3.Killing Me- I like the old school horror film intro to this one I love intros like that, but the song is so freaking tasty. I love the heavy sounding bass and my buddy Billy Pulera is one hell of a rhythmic drummer he keeps it so solid and especially on tracks like this you can really feel it. The main riff is one of my favorites on the record. Lawson’s vocals really hit me hard especially in the chorus he really belts it out. My favorite on the record by far.

4.Tragedy- This song has more of a straight melodic sound to it with a bluesy edge to it and I believe a touch of keyboards in the back ground. This isn’t a bad song but its a lot different from the rest of the album until it really starts to hit a bit over two minutes in. The solo is really really good as well. Pretty good song very different turn but hey that ain’t a bad thing.

5.Forgiveness-Hell yeah, some soulful blues, this is another one of my favorites on the album it is just really gritty but so beautiful at the same time. It really is a great tune it just has so much feeling and literally everyone is giving it their all just a killer melodic tune.

6.What The Fuss- The frantic beat of this tune I think is pretty interesting it gives it kind of a jazzy feeling. It really is a raw upbeat tune with some interesting rhythm elements as well. This one is a bit more laid back with Save Me in vain. Pretty good tune to drink to while your kicking back giving it a spin.

7.Character Is Power- This song easily has the tightest and most infectious rhythm especially on bass damn its just such a good song. It has a lot of jazz elements to it as well and even a saxophones solo as well. This is one I always find myself air drumming to when im listening its just so infectious. Definitely a song that has character and packs some power.

8.You Are Here- I really like the melodic almost psychedelic sounding vocals at the beginning. This one sounds a lot like Schenker era UFO which isn’t bad its amazing. It is a rocking tune with some more melodic spots especially in the bridge to the chorus. It a really straight forward tune that I could see played on any classic rock radio in a trans am going down the road.

9.Can You Feel It- Beginning with another really jazzy beat, this song is another more rhythmic rocker than straight balls out rocking. Its still pretty good and insanely tight as well. It reminds me a lot of Save Me with a lot more not changes in the chorus but it still has a lot of power to it. Pretty good tune.

10.In The End- This song was actually released as a standalone a while ago but was included on the album and rightfully so, it is an amazing song and one worth ending this album. The main riff is so bluesy and heavy it really is such a bar tune that gets people tapping their foot. I love the bridge to the chorus the chords Joesy Wails strike are just so powerful and infectious. A killer tune to end the album.


Overall, I give this album an 8.5 out of 10. It really was worth the wait for this sucker and im so happy that I finally have my hands on it. If you love 70s groovy rock, you definitely should check this album out because these guys freakin rock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment