Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Show Review: Airbourne/The Wild- The Bottom Lounge, Chicago Illinois 9/30/2016







On september 30th, I was lucky enough to Catch Australian hard rock group Airbourne and supporting rock band The Wild at Chicago's Bottom Lounge. Now everyone who knows me knows that I don't go see new bands too often unless I really like them. Airbourne is no exception to that as I have been a fan since "No Guts No Glory". After  missing them coming to Chicago two or three times I definitely was not going to miss them again.

Opening band: The Wild


The Wild are a Canadian hard rock group that take the simular "rock n roll" formula and add a hard rock flair to it. They were pretty good live and had almost a ZZ Top vibe to them as well. They had some fast songs, some slow song but overall were a fun band. The only problem I had was I oin't feel like I could establish them from a lot of bands that use this similar formula. They had a good stage presence too which kept the audience interested. Overall they were pretty good and very fun but nothing that totally blew me out of the water.


Airbourne

And then, like that, Airbourne were up next. With the lines of Marshall and Wizard stacks across the stage, I could tell that this was going to be a loud as hell show. Then, the terminator theme roared over the PA and the stage filled with fog, the anticipation was almost too much. All of a sudden like a loaded gun, everyone comes from stage left blasting into "Ready To Rock" and I was blown away immediately. I expected power but holy hell Airbourne exceeded my expectations and then some. Sitting second row watching them was one of the most awe inspiring things I have ever experienced. Their stage presence is easily the best I have ever experienced with mad frontman Joel O'Keefe
throwing beers to everyone, exploding beer all over first and second row, and even playing guitar through the crowd during "Girls In Black". I have to say that even though I always said Motorhead were the loudest band I have ever seen, Airbourne beat them slightly, almost a week later and my ears are still ringing. Their setlist had no filler and even included some new tracks off their newest release "Breaking Outta Hell" as well. The show was so good that it went so fast too. I literally could go on and on about how good they played, how good they sounded but it wouldn't do them justice, just go see them because it will change your life, and your ears too.

This was easily the best show of the year for me. With all the recent news of ACDC slowly falling apart, it is great to see Airbourne doing that Aussie pub rock the right way and I really hope they only get bigger in the states. Joel, Ryan, Justin and David, your guys' music helped me through some tough as hell times and I am happy I finally got to see you live. Here is to many more years to Rockin and Rollin!

No comments:

Post a Comment