Friday, September 23, 2016

Album Review-Grim Reaper: Walking In The Shadows


"Walking In The Shadows" is the fourth album by Heavy Metal group Grim Reaper and was released on September 23rd, 2016. I for one have always loved Grim Reaper especially since they are a band, if you took the core of what Heavy Metal is, it is these guys. Steve Grimmett has always been a vocalist I have admired because he utilized his voice very well. Now here we are almost thirty years since the release of "Rock You To Hell" with a fresh new lineup and Grimmett still in the front man position. I also will note that because Steve's name is above the title, I still consider this part of the Grim Reaper discography even if it is more of a reformation. But how does this album stack up compared the unholy trilogy? Lets find out.


Track Rundown


1.Wings Of Angels- Opening with the sound of a war plane soaring through the sky, this song goes right into that classic NWOBHM riffing. Right away you can tell that Steve doesn't sing as high as he used to. Some vocalists this is a make or break scenario. I think Grimmett carries enough charisma in his singing where it still fits, he still has a bit of that gruff as well. The production obviously isn't as reverbed as it was back in the day but it has more of a garage-ish feel here which I dig. The chorus is very strong which always has been a strong thing for the Reaper. The solo is pretty good but not mind blowing. I think this is an great opening song and it is great to hear this lost band from the eighties to come to rise again.

2.Walking In Shadows- The first single off the album and I have to say since the first day I heard it, it is just as catchy. Again the chorus carries that heavy melodic feeling which I never tire of. A great song that could be a classic in their discography.

3.Reach Out- This sounds a bit like it could have been on "See You In Hell" but that is what I expect from the band, this is their style of playing and its like AC DC or Motorhead, it it aint broke dont fix it. Another great rocking tune!

4.I'm Coming For You- I like the guitar that almost sounds its going backwards in the beginning it is a cool touch. The verses are pretty catchy and show of Steves more soaring vocals where it just glides so smoothly on top of all the instrumentation. It is another great song that really keeps the album going at a consistent pace.

5.From Hell- We got the Hell song! as we all know Grim Reaper are known for inserting Hell into all their albums themes. Hey who cares though its their thing.This song definitely has more of that old school speed metal feel that is of course always welcome. The new line up I think injects some life as well. I forgot to mention how good the drums sound they really bounce especially with headphones in. This is easily one of the best songs on the album with everyone giving it all they got. Definitely shows that Grim Reaper are alive and well.

6.Call Me In The Morning- Another very fast track that again keeps the pace going throughout the album. The verses are very damn catchy as well and it doesn't let up, its just pure headbanging fun plain and  simple.

7.Rock Will Never Die- This is a straight up fist pumping anthem and would work very well in Grim Reapers live set I believe. The chorus picks up the tempo a bit and really lets Grimmett belt it out and I again praise for how well he utilizes his voice on this album and he still sings very damn well.

8.Temptation-  A little bit of an Overkill feel here with the double bass drumming I dig it! It adds a bit of extra power and gets to excited right from the get go. This is another song I feel that would work very well in their live set hell the whole album would! This is one of the hookiest albums ive easily heard in a long time.

9.Thunder- A bit more of a mid pace on this song. Probably the most mid paced song on the album but it still works very well and has a ballad-ish feel to it which I dig. Not a bad song

10.Now You See Me- Right back into the no nonsense heavy metal this song goes and has one of the best chorus' on the album bar none. I dig this song especially this late into the album, I still am throughout enjoying it for the consistency that they pull off.

11.Blue Murder- Opening with another epic sounding heavy metal riff, this song is very vintage sounding as well, The really quick double bass drums during the bridge his very cool it adds some extra flavor. I really get heavy vibes of "DOA" in this tune which isnt bad just makes me want to pull out my other Reaper albums now!

12.Come Hell Or High Water- A very fitting up beat closer here. Actually it is one of my favorite songs on the album as well especially when Grimmett uses more of that grit when he sings through the chorus lines. The solo is really epic too with the chants behind it, it just adds so much power to the main bulk of the solo as well. Epic closer to a really faithful comeback.


Overall, I give "Walking In The Shadows" a very solid 7.5 out of 10. Obviously in the year 2016, there is so much music out there that nothing is mind blowing to us much anymore. However, with this album, I really enjoyed it because within its simplicity is a comeback from one of the most underrated bands of the eighties. it has the hooks, the musicianship and tons of charm. This is a heavy metal album and Grim Reaper can still do it very very well. It isn't mind blowing but it is a great return from one of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal's best. I salute Grim Reaper and I salute Steve Grimmett especially for keeping the music alive after all these years.


No comments:

Post a Comment