Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Retrospective Review- Eric Moore and The Godz: Last Rites

“Last Rites” is the newest record from Ohio based southern/hard rock group Eric Moore and The Godz and was released in 2015. I haven't ever heard of these guys for a long time until around a month ago I was approached by their manager who sent me a copy of this record. I was intrigued because I could tell they had been around a long time and the cover of the new record screamed the 70s to me so I was immediately interested. However, is this a record that could've made my top ten of last year or does it bite the dust? lets find out.


Track Rundown



1.Whitleine-This track has that real southern hard rock grit to it. With that simple thumping riff and those gritty as hell vocals. I really enjoy the raw production as well it reminds me of Blackfoot a lot and I really find the chorus really catchy as well. Pretty good opener on the album.

2.Lonely Tonight- This song has some really catchy verses and an easy to hum riff to it as well. It almost has a comedic tone to it as well but I dig it. Another pretty fun dirty southern rock tune.

3.Burning Bridges(2014 recording)- There is definitely more of a ballad feel in this song and a lot of a Lynyrd Skynyrd feel with the back up vocals especially. I really like it, it screams the 70s and it is a really fun song to listen to.

4.Wastin'(2014 recording)- This tracks production is a little more polished and it has a bit more heaviness to it. The guitar definitely has a heavier tone to it as well. There is a lot of repeating within the lyrics but its a fun rock tune that I still found pretty catchy.

5.Caveman Luv- Damn did they crank up the heavy metal dial on this one. The drums are a hell of a ton more bombastic and the riffing is more in key to NWOBHM bands. The lyrics are very Ted Nugent-like and I love them for it it is so cheesy and catchy at the same time.

6.Goin' Down Rock'n- This song has the same very heavy metal production like that last but I find this song the heaviest on the record. It is really catchy and very bass heavy as well. Easily my favorite on the album its a headbanging fun time.

7.Kick Out The Jams-No not an MC5 cover, its actually a pretty good original rock tune. It again brings back some o the southern rock flavor to it as well. A fun southern bluesy drenched hard rock song.

8.Gotta Keep A Runnin'(2014 recording)- This is perhaps The Godz most famous song for the long speech in the middle and led to their trademark “The Godz are rock and roll machines” line. It reminds me a lot of Ted Nugents Wango Tango but the original recording I believe predates that song. I really like it it is a fun driving tune.

9.Island(instrumental)- This is where the album takes a turn with mostly outtakes and demos and this one I really like. There is a final version on the album at the end but with the extremely raw production, it has a more haunting feel to it here I feel. It does repeat a bit but it's a really good track to listen to when you are alone it has a lot of emotion to it.

10.Whiteline(1980 demo)- This version sounds almost exactly like the final version but the drums are just a bit louder. I still enjoy the final version more its more balanced.

11.Lonely Tonight(1980 version)- This is essentially just a repeat of the main riff a bunch of times it really isn't as fleshed out as the final version.

12.Burning Bridges(1980 alternate Demo)- This is a much more raw version that the final cut and doesn't have all the clean cut back up vocals it sounds hell of a lot more raw I almost prefer this version a bit more.

13.Wastin'(work tape 2014)- This version is almost the same as the final cut but with no lyrics. Again I prefer the final version unless I'm really wanting to listen to the instrumentals.

14.Island- This is the final cut and I think a great way to end the album, It still has a very raw production but is a bit more muffled than the other was. I dig it, and it includes vocals which add to it as well.



Overall, I give the album a 7.5 out of 10. It isn't classic by any means but what it is is a fun southern hard rock record that almost serves as a retrospective for this band. I really enjoy a lot of the material even though I feel the demos should have been bonus tracks instead but hey they are still interesting to hear. I think that if you are wanting to get into Eric Moore and The Godz, start with this one because I guarantee you are into for a really fun rockin time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment