Friday, June 17, 2016

Album Review- Blood Ceremony: Lord Of Misrule

“Lord of Misrule” is the fourth album by Cult Rock band Blood Ceremony and was released on March 25th, 2016. Blood Ceremony have been a group that has been off and on my radar since their debut album in 2008. They took Ozzy era Sabbath, flutes and cult imagery and created a band that was quite original in my book. My mind was blown the first time I heard “Into The Coven” and I've followed all of their records since. I was really excited when I got my hands on the new one that I had to cover it. But is it a worthy record?


Track Listing


1.Devil's Widow-Right away I really live the vintage production here similar to Brimstone Covens new album. The riffs are heavy and catchy as normal and Alia O'Briens flute playing is extremely immaculate as well. Here voice really sores over this song as well with a little of grit on the back end as well. This is an extremely well written first track with a lot of soloing from every one it almost reminds me of Deep Purples Burn in that it really shows almost a super group feel between all the members. I really like that they threw in a slow acoustic segment in this otherwise heavy cult rocker.

2.Loreley- This song has a really good atmosphere between the thumping pop sounding organ it almost sounds like Heart meets Black Sabbath and I really dig it, it's something different. It isn't really a rock song it has more of a dark 60's pop tone to it.

3.The Rogue's Lot- This song is one of my favorites on the album in terms of how catchy it is. It has that really heavy riffing that really picks up with that jazzy feel similar to the first Sabbath record. The last chorus really just punches you in the dug with how catchy it is.

4.Lord of Misrule-Another extremely catchy song with some haunting riffing and vocal harmonies opening. I really have to point out how awesome the imagery portrayed in these songs is as well. Another of my favorites. The flute solo is epic as well it flows so well.

5.Half Moon Street- Easily my favorite song on the album because of how it mixed bluesy riffing with a folk like attitude. I really love Sean Kennedy's riffing here it is dirty but melodic and his quick fuzzy solos are just barely visible in the mix to add just another layer to a very well written mid paced 70s rock song.

6.The Weird of Finistere- This is probably the most atmospheric song on the album as it really captures this dark unsettling feeling. The lyrical imagery is really interesting as well. There is a very classical music element that I take from here also. A very dark and beautiful well written song.

7.Flower Phantom- This song is similar to “Loreley” in its 60's pop feel. It almost feels like Jefferson Airplane took a dark turn or had a bad trip. It is a really catchy and haunting tune.

8.Old Fires- I get a really big UFO vibe from this song with the Schenker-esque riffing and The heavy organ in the background. O'Briens voice really pushes this song harder as well. It's a pretty good rocker and has that catchy as hell chorus as well.

9.Things Present, Things Past- The last track on the album. It is a more acoustic driven song and I think it is a very good one to take the album out on. It holds a lot of emotion within the playing as well as the really smooth yet gritty production. I love the flute playing as well it adds another layer of originality that most bands don't have. Superb group and the ending where it slowly starts reversing gives a really creepy vibe that I dig a lot.



Overall, I give this record a superb 9 out of 10. This is easily my favorite record in Blood Ceremonies discography as well. It combines a lot of different musical elements but still has a prime focus and doesn't become disjointed at any point. This is 70's Cult Rock at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment