Friday, February 12, 2016

Album Review-Brimstone Coven: Black Magic

“Black Magic” is the second studio album from Doom/Occult rock group Brimstone Coven and was released January 29th, 2016. I had first heard this band literally right when they released their self-titled debut and I really was into their stripped down approach to their music. However, I felt like they could have pushed a bit harder especially with the production it sounded quiet in parts to me. Now they have released their next disc so let’s see if it’s worth the wait.

Track Rundown

1.Black Magic- starting with some nice heavy riffing and I really dig how audible the bass is it really holds the sound together. The vocals have that analog like fuzziness with them and I really dig the production a lot more as well it feels more I don’t know more atmospheric? It is hard to explain. This song is really catchy and leaves a good impression especially to first time listeners. The solo really has that Sabbath sound and I think this is the first band I’ve heard to really nail Iommi’s style. However, it still sounds pretty original.

2.Black Unicorn- This song starts with some of that Jazzy kind of progression in the drums and guitars and there is some really soulful singing here as well that I dig. Nice quick rocker.

3.Beyond The Astral- I like the riff in this song it almost sounds kind of Cream like with a Sabbath-ish guitar behind it. It still has that really dirty occult feel to it with the vocals almost reminding me of the band Coven from the late 60’s. One of my favorite tracks.

4.As We Fall- This song has a cleaner softer opening to it and is a nice change of pace on the album. It actually reminds me a bit of the first Ghost album. This song has a more Ballad like feel to it but the atmosphere is nailed pretty good on the head with some reverb behind the vocals and a clean yet still dirty guitar and fuzzy bass cranking it out. Really really good song!

5.Upon The Mountain-This is a heavy riffing song with some cool vocals behind it that really seem to echo with the guitar. The solo to this one is one of my favorites on the record as well it just grooves really well.

6.Slow Death-My favorite song on the album simply because the rhythm really gets my foot tapping. I over the bumping bass especially in the background. There is a lot more of a prominent jazz and soul influence on this song which sets it apart form just being a standard rock song. And cmon the solo from Corey Roth is just so awesome.

7.The Seers- This song has a really good heavy riff to it that sounds mountainous and with that vintage sounding production it works so well. The solo for this tune is my favorite as well on the album its bends and everything just sound so good.

8.The Plague- This song has a softer and darker feel to it I really like how creepy this song sounds as well. The more Psychedelic spacey solo is really cool as well, A really well written song to say the least.

9.Forsaken- This one has a softer riff opening to it as well but goes almost into a stoner rock sounding chord progression. This song has a more Cream approach it feels especially with the vocals. A good heavy tune.

10.I really love the slowly fading in drum beat with all the crow noises it sounds really cool and This song actually has more of  Pentagram feel to it like I swear im just waiting for Bobby Liebling to come in and start singing. This song has more of a drone to it in the constant riff and low hovering vocals. It has a bit of a change up in the middle with some really cool note progressions which heads right back into the heavy droning to round out with just essentially a jam session until the song ends. A good heavy end to this album.


Overall, I give this album a 7.5-8 out of 10. This album really exceeds what they did with their first record with a darker production and everything just sounds so much heavier as well. The song writing is actually a bit more varied with some softer atmospheric pieces and still retaining the “rock” feel. Brimstone Coven is gonna be one of the bands to continue the retro rock sound and I have no problem with that because these guys really know how to play some good tunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment