Sunday, October 18, 2015

Album Review-Spillage:Spillage

Spillage is the self-titled debut record from Chicago based Hard Rock/Heavy Metal group Spillage and was released on June 30th, 2015. Now I have heard of this band for about two years but never really focused a lot on them for the reason that I didn’t have a lot of material to work with besides some live videos which showed me they are a very cool live act. However, I wanted to see what a full length from these guys would sound like and if it really would a defying record that I could listening to until it was too worn out. Well I finally have a copy in my hands so let’s turn this baby up and see what is in store for us.

Track Rundown

1.The Darkness- The opening track starts with this ominous organ opening that I really like because it feels like just such a build up to what is to come and not to mention there is some cool Deep Purple vibes as well. Right away there are some crushing riffs and I really admire the guitar tones exhibited here as well they really have a unique NWOBHM-ish sound to them. I really like the vocals as well because they feel doomish in parts and then go for this Halford like soaring style which I love. I love the cut before the solo as well it feels unexpected and makes it exciting as well. Fantastic fucking opening track.

2.Live In Fear- This track has more of that bluesier edge in its riffing yet is still heavy and groovy. The solo is one of my favorites on the album as well. Just a really catchy tune and another must listen on this record.

3.The Road- Chris Martine’s drum fill in the beginning I have to just say is really awesome he has a lot of solid grooves in his playing. The main riff to this song is very vintage Priest sounding but is still full of originality. Tony Spillman in particular really rips up the solo in this tune and its just one of those solo’s that totally sticks with me til no end. Everything in this song and even the slow exit of this song is just great. Definitely my favorite song on the album.

4.Call It Freedom-The groovy bass intro is really cool and the chugging guitars really build up to the main riff that has a thrashy feel to it but it isn’t thrashy at all and still retains that bluesy groove. The chorus is pretty catchy as well in this tune it is different I can’t really explain it but it sounds good and I like it haha. Another killer tune!

5.In Hell- This song has more of that straight Stoner Rock feel to it and the vocals are a bit lower than they were the past songs with a bit more of grit in them. It is heavy as hell and is another tune on the album that I can really get behind. There is a bit of double bass here as well which I don’t recall hearing before which still sounds incredibly heavy. I also love the keys in this tune as well it creates a cool evil atmosphere.

6.Insomnia- The opening has a Sabbath-ish feel to it(more of the Dio era than anything). The riffing has these cool melodic breaks in it that im a total sucker for. It has a really catchy chorus as well and is a cool tune all around. I also like when it picks up as well it really adds to the tune and I didn’t see it coming when I first gave it a listen.

7.Devil Woman- This song has been covered by a couple notable artists including the legendary Riot from New York City. However this version is my favorite because this band plays it in not a super heavy way but it has kind of a more pop kind of sound with it especially with the organ taking over more than the guitars in the verses. I feel that Spillage has captured this song perfectly.

8.Land Of Opportunity- The opening always reminds me of U2 for some reason im not sure but this tune is another awesome rocker. Tony really knows how to write catchy tunes as this is another killer one and I love love the verses but the chorus with the (I can feel it!) thrown in it really is awesome.

9.We Are- This tune is a bit more mid paced and has  catchy nasty riff that carries it with the organ clicking in and out, it is really cool. A pretty god foot tapping tune to end the album with and I can’t complain at all.


Overall, I give this album a 9.7 out of 10. I was really blown away how much I was going to love this record. To me, this is a modern hard rock/heavy metal masterpiece because it blends some really cool sounds together and is easily my record of the year, no denying it. Seriously though, pick this record up, support this band cause I sure as hell will. Horns up for Spillage! \m/

2 comments:

  1. While I didn't like this as much as you did, I do think you did a great review. It is probably one of my favorites of the year

    ReplyDelete