Monday, August 24, 2015

Album Review- Pentagram: Curious Volume

Curious Volume is the ninth record by legendary American Doom Metal band Pentagram and is out on August 28th 2015. Before I get into the record, I just want to share my history with this band. When I first discovered Pentagram, the first song I heard was “Dying World” and my love for them went haywire, they are essentially Americas answer to Black Sabbath and definitely have always shown their true blues roots as well. Bobby Liebling is a trooper seriously, he literally looked death in the face and came back stronger than ever. However, does this record stand up and face the hype created ever since they released the comeback “Last Rites”? Let’s find out!

Track Rundown

1.Lay Down and Die- Opening with a pounding guitar with Bobby spitting out lyrics with that signature screech in his voice. I love the ascending riff during the verses and the chorus is a total crusher, this song reminds me a bit of the Relentless record as well. Love Victors solo here as well it’s got a good groove to it. It’s actually a pretty simple track but it totally rules, end of story.

2.The Tempter Push- This tune has more of that fuzzy bluesy feel to it especially with the main riff. I really like the effect on Bobbys vocals as well it gives a real vintage feel. I swear you would think he was in his twenties again with how strong he is singing these songs! I love his croon during the verses it just sounds so badass. The solo has that trademark doom feel to it as well. Another hard hitter also reminds me of the last Blue Cheer record “What Doesn’t Kill You” ever recorded.

3.Dead Bury Dead- This tune has more of that traditional slow brooding Doom sound to it and Bobbys vocals in parts sound like harmonies I have never heard him hit before which is really nice to hear yet it seems very subtle. The solo is awesome as well it just has that killer groove to it.

4.Earth Flight- A Pentagram album isn’t a Pentagram album without a rendition of the early 70s demos and here we have finally one of my favorite Pentagram tracks done and one very well. You’d think nearly 40 years later it would sound flat or would have no power but holy hell it sounds so freaking heavy. This is how that tune was meant to be heard. Easily a major highlight for making this track sound so fresh. I love the chorus vox in the backround right before the end as well pretty cool!

5.Walk Alone- This tune has a very 70s riff to it almost kind of psychedelic feeling as well. I really like simple riff that have so much feeling in them like this one does. It is a very simple tune but still very heavy. It’s Pentagram just doing their thing.

6.Curious Volume- The opening is very interesting it is Doomy but not in the typical way it has an interesting riff with it is hard to explain but it sounds fresh. I really like Lieblings held back bluesy vocal take here. It picks up a bit more as it goes on. It is a very good track and I especially love when the solo kicks in as well. It is doomy as hell and that’s the way I like it.

7.Misunderstood- This song actually has a punky feel to it which is an interesting transition from the slower tunes before this. I think this is my favorite track on the record and I love Bobby vocals I mean he’s just spitting right at you and it is absolutely killer. The solo totally rocks as well it totally has an acdc feel to it.

8.Close The Casket- This tune retains that groove that Pentagram is known for and still sounds as fresh as ever. Again, it has a very bluesy feel to it. It has a couple of little twists in it that I appreciate as it gives a reason to keep listening to the song. Good track.

9.Sufferin’- The beginning sounds like fi you slowed down a High On Fire track and this song as the track before this have more of a rock friendly kind of feel to them than a Doom metal feel and to me I find that pretty interesting. It picks up more at the end with a killer solo and ends pretty solid as well.

10.The Devil’s Playground- This is by far the doomiest song on the record. It is the sludgiest by far and Bobbys vocals are at their heaviest sounding here as well. There is a slow transition in the middle that I really like and again it is something that I have never heard from Pentagram. This is one of my favorite songs on the album and definitely a high point.

11.Because I made It- This song sounds just like a track of the Last Daze Here compilation in fact it is! It really has the sound the band had at that point. I really think this is what Pentagram fans really think as the band coming full circle and Bobby finally has reached his dream of rockstardom by rerecording this track. This song is a fantastic way to end the album. It just ends the whole thing in such an epic way.



Overall. I give this record a 9.2 out of 10. It is so great to see probably the most important Doom Metal band besides Black Sabbath to come back with a record that is so strong it surpasses Last Rites in just about every way. Yes Bobby you have finally made it and this record proves the talent to the whole group that is Pentagram!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Justin.

    Nice review - for what it's worth, Lay Down and Die, and Sufferin' were tracks from the 70s too. Misunderstood is a Death Row-era track that Victor wrote.

    Solid album. I've heard the stream once but am waiting with baited breath for my copy to get here.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete