Monday, July 27, 2015

Album Review: Venomous Maximus- FireWalker

“FireWalker” is the sophomore album by Texas doom metal band Venomous Maximus and was released in May of 2015. I first discovered this group while listening to the Doom Cellar one night and really was digging what I was hearing it was heavy and doomy but had some Iron Maiden-like influences which I really found unique and really was excited when the first single was released for this album. However, does this album hold up and are Venomous a band to be reckoned with? Let’s find out.

Track Rundown

1.       Intro- starting with a simple synth beginning is really cool and gives off a John Carpenter feel to me. Not much to say it doesn’t last very long but it is a cool little piece.

2.       White Rose- This track goes straight for the jugular with pounding riffs, heavy drums and a killer vocal performance. I really find the chorus insanely catchy as well. The guitars give off a sound reminiscent of VOL. 4 from Sabbath where it is heavy but not the typical bass heavy, more of a vintage heavy. The chugging guitars remind me again a lot like Iron Maiden which is an interesting taste. Overall this is a real strong opening track.

3.       Through The Black- This is the first song released a bit back for this record and to me is the highlight from the album, the lyrics, the crushing riffs its all there. Interestingly it sounds very Hour Of 13-ish especially in the vocal performance.

4.       Dark Waves- This song has more of that Doom stable sound right from the brooding beginning but picks up a little bit and actually is pretty atmospheric especially at the “I can hear them calling” moments. Another killer song really raw and heavy.

5.       Oct. 14th- This is a faster song and I can see it being a good live number with all the chanting. What I really like is that even though it is doom it is still very melodic and the vocals are very Mercyful Fate like without the trademark falsettos. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

6.       FireWalker Theme- This is an instrumental track those goes more into ambient psychedelic sounds which is an interesting transition. It almost sounds like what it would be if you were in hell. I also really dig all the subtle synthesizers in the backround.

7.       Angel Heart- Another trademark track for the band. It’s a straight forward Doom tune that does exactly what you want it to do. It also brings up those iron maiden galloping guitar lines as well. Killer track.

8.       The main riff to this song sounds like a Dio song. Not a specific one but just it sounds like a track that Dio could sing over. Another one of my favorite song on the album and I really like the jam at the end where it picks up more it really begs to be played in a live setting.

9.       Fire In The Night- This song has a production along the lines of Sabbaths VOL. 4 again which I like because it retains that vintage heavy sound. I like the verse riffs in this track its just so damn heavy. Another good song for a live setting.

10.   Take on the Grave- In my opinion this track kinda starts slow but it does pick up a bit more toward the middle and more during the solo. Its probably my least favorite track on the record. Its still pretty good but just not a great closer.



Overall, I give this record a 9.3 out of 10. I really enjoyed this record its Like Mercyful Fate was reborn and fused with NWOBHM groups such as Angel Witch and the before mentioned Iron Maiden, however, it remained completely original and if you are a fan of doom metal or just heavy metal then I strongly suggest you check out this record and their debut. I believe they are on tour with High on Fire now (or soon? Correct me if I’m wrong) so go check em out if you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment