Friday, January 10, 2014

EP Review- Skull Fist: Heavier Than Metal

This is the first official recording from Canadian Power Metal band Skull Fist released in 2010. I am doing this review at the request of one of my fellow tumblr bloggers and i really like this style of metal so i was pleased that they asked me to. I heard a few songs off of their full length Head Of The Pack and thought they were pretty good. But lets look before that with this EP.

Track Rundown

1.Sign of the Warrior- i really like the fast double bass drums at the beginning and the voice of Jackie Slaughter is very very strong and strangely reminds me of James Hetfield during the Kill Em All days but with an even higher voice. this is a very cool song.

2.Heavier Than Metal- I really like the riff for this song and the shout at the beginning is really cool. It really reminds me of JawBreaker from Judas Priests Defenders Of The Faith. the solo is pretty awesome as well. This is my favorite song off the EP

3.Blackout- The acoustic intro is really cool and power metal worthy and the main full structure of the song has a thrashy kind of undertone with the chugging riffs but is pretty well done.

4.Ride The Beast- this reminds me alot of Anthraxs Metal Thrashing Mad off of Fistful Of Metal not amazing but still pretty fun.

5.No False Metal- i really like the name of this song it sounds a bit different than all the other tracks in ways of guitar playing with a more frantic strumming. Not a bad closer.

Overall i would give this EP 7.5 out of 10. The band take it is what it is and that is kick ass Power Metal and while this record is nothing new it is pretty nostalgic to all the 80s metal bands and i like that its not as over the top as dragon force. I do think this is a neat band and i wouldnt mind seeing them live one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment